Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Break 2010- New Mexico

We are home from our crazy adventure!!  I'll start from the beginning...

Thursday- Took off bright and early.  Kids did great!  Brody only fussed when the sun was in his eyes.  Daddy came to the rescue and put pieces of paper up with bandaids on the back window.  It worked!  We were going to stop part way, but then realized we were making good time.  So we drove all the way into Santa Fe and I had enough time to drop off my wedding ring to be resized and fix.  We then decided since the kids were being so good to continue on to Taos and find a hotel. 

Friday- We woke up early and started the 30 minute drive thru the pass to Angel Fire.  We got there around 9am and it was snowing lightly.  We had heard on the weather they were expecting flurries throughout the day.  So this made it exciting!  The group lessons were full, so Ryan decided to get private lessons for him and Dylan to learn to snowboard.   Brody and I hung out and watched them.  It was funny at times watching them fall.  Dylan had some balance issue's but got the hang of it.  Ryan did very well!  I was nervous watching Dylan get on the lift the first time (by himself) but he did good. 

It was now around 11am and snowing harder.  I decided to put Brody in the daycare which was right there.  It was well worth the $50 to keep him out of the cold!  The boys continued to snowboard and then came in for lunch.  Then Dylan said he wanted to try ski's.  SO.. we traded in the equipment and got ski's.  Ryan gave Dylan a private lesson!

After awhile Dylan was tired.  Ryan wanted to go up on the hill for one good run.  So Dylan and I waited.  The snow had been falling all day and just as Ryan left it was getting harder (around 3pm).  Ryan got on the wrong lift and ended up going ALL the way up.  I called him several times as I  was worried and he finally answered and said it was snowing so hard, he couldn't see and was trying to get down.  Once he got down, he and Dylan went to get the truck.  I went to get Brody and waited for them.  While I was in the daycare, I had heard someone say the passes were all closed out of there.  No one could leave!!  I started to freak out a little.  I'll admit that!  Angel Fire ended up getting 18 inches of snow on Friday while we were there!

We headed straight to the gas station and I ran inside to grab one of the last cans of formula (and not Brody's regular kind or brand), diapers, water, snacks, etc.  We were very happy that we had 4-wheel drive but we were still slipping and sliding and you couldn't see where the curbs were or anything.  Several cars were in ditches or just stuck in the middle of the road. We headed to the one and only hotel- Angel Fire Resort.  They had said the fire department was sending people there for shelter.  We got on the list for a room. 

Well, we didn't get a room.  Well we could of for $550!   Instead we opted to stay in a conference room with about 20 other people.  In all there was about probably 50 people stuck.  The people in our room were very nice.  The hotel staff gave us blankets, toothbrushes, etc.  We slept ok.  Everyone in our room commented on how well Brody was.  So that made me happy.  He slept all night! 

Saturday-  During breakfast, Brody decided to get sick and threw up all over himself and Ryan.  We had NO more clothes.  All our suitcases were in Taos in our hotel!  So they smelled like throw up on the way back.  The pass was open and we headed for our hotel.  We took it nice and slow and enjoyed the pretty drive. 

We then showered, packed up, and headed to Santa Fe to pick up my ring.  When we got there, my ring STILL didn't fit.  The owner and designer David Greigo was there and took me downstairs to his shop.  I love this jeweler! I sat with him and he tried to get my ring to the perfect size.  FINALLY, we got it, and I am very happy once again to be wearing it! 

We played a little more in the snow.  I have to say that I LOVE my UGG boots.  I've had them for 10 years now and I wore them the whole trip and never had cold feet playing in the snow (even with no socks!).   We did some sledding, had some snowball fights and started to head home.  Brody remained sick the whole day though and couldn't hold anything down.  We were giving him pedialyte every 20 minutes or so.  We stopped in Roswell, NM to sleep, and continued our journey back home.

Sunday-  We are VERY happy to be home.  We did have a great time despite a major snowstorm trapping us, and a 9 month old throwing up on every outfit we had for him!  lol.  I am adding a photoshow our all our pictures.  Not sure where it will show up on his blog, but should be near the top!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a trip! (Thanks for posting the link, I didn't know you had a blog.)

    ReplyDelete