Friday, January 21, 2011

Hospital Visit

Today was a much longer day than expected!  I took Brody in for a regular doctors appt at 9:30am.  He's been coughing lately, thrown up a couple of times this past week, had the runs, but nothing consistant.  He also hasn't been eating well.  I was thinking Strep throat or something, but that test was negative.  The doctor was worried since he had lost 3 lbs since his last visit.  She said that is a lot especially with how skinny he is now.  That puts him now at 21 lbs.  She was worried something might be stuck in his stomach.  I hope its not a lego!! ha.  SO.. she told us to go straight to the hospital for an upper GI xray.  Next thing I know, Brody and I are getting hospital bracelets and the start of many xrays!  They took 2 regular chest xrays, then it was time for the upper GI. 

Let me tell you.. this wasn't fun!  First of all, it was now about noon (nap time, lunch time, etc).  He had to drink this white barium liquid as the test was happening.  He is laying under this big machine, one nurse is holding his legs, I am holding his arms and another nurse is trying to get him to drink from his sippy cup.  I said "this isn't happening, he's screaming, he won't drink!!".  So they filled a syring and started squirting it in his mouth.  This seemed to work.  30-40 minutes later of pinning him down, we were done!  OMG!  To me that was the longest test ever.  I guess the machine is working the whole time taking pictures as the liquid is going down.  THEN, we had to wait another 2 hours taking xrays every 15-20 minutes to see how the barium moved thru his stomach.  He was so tired and would fall asleep to only be woken to get an xray, then fall asleep again, to be woken 15 minutes later. 

SO.. a few hours later, we are home and he's napping.  No idea what the results are (typical!) AND its Friday.  I already called his doctors office to see and they said I may get a call up to 7pm or they will call me Monday.  So stayed tuned.. 


He's wearing a hospital gown, but still wearing his jammies to keep his feet warm.  So happy I brought blankie along!


1 comment:

  1. Oh Kristi, that is awful! I am so sorry that he had to go through that. I hope that you get a call tonight and not have to wait until Monday.

    ReplyDelete