Friday, March 18, 2011

Garner State Park

We didn't do much over Spring Break, but since Daddy had to work in Uvalde on a project this past week, we went to see him.  At first, we drove into this hotel he had booked us online and we parked in the parking lot.  He came up to my window and said "you want to try the holiday inn down the road".  He knew I wasn't liking the hotel he had orginally booked with the leaves, etc in the pool and very motelish setting.  The brand new Holiday Inn was super nice with a clean pool and even better hot tub! 




We set out for an adventure to hike Garner State Park which is right outside Uvalde.  I didn't know what to expect but LOVED it!  It reminded me of hiking and playing in the woods when I lived on the Air Force Academy in Colorado.  I asked the park ranger for a "kid friendly" trail and she steered us to a good path.  About 1/4 mile in, I was dying already from carrying the backpack and a 25lb child that wouldn't walk!!  Needless to say, we took our time but it was fun climbing the rocks and staying on the trail. 



This was probably the most difficult part of the trail with Brody, but we made it!

We then took another trail we saw on the way back to the car.  It said "river basin" and looked fun.  I should of known that something with water would turn out not so good!  We made it to the edge of the water.   If we followed the river, we would of landed by the big swimming hole where they had paddle boats to rent.  But we just stayed where we were.  The kids really wanted to take off their shoes and walk in the ankle high water.  It was 90 degree's and we just got done with a long hike so I said ok.  Within 2 minutes of them having fun and skipping rocks, Brody slips and falls and gets all wet.  Then 2 seconds later, Addison slips too and gets a little wet!  Well... I didn't have a change of clothes for them.  I only brought swimsuits!  SO.. I was able to change Brody into his swimsuit after I carried him about 1/2 mile back to the car thus getting me soaked too (but I was wearing fishing clothes so my stuff dried quick!).  Addison had to ride back in her wet clothes but she was fine with that.  We wrapped her in a blanket!  It was definitely a fun time and Dylan was even crying as we left since we ended up leaving earlier than planned (wet clothes + major tired Brody tantrum= time to go!) .  I told Ryan that I want to go for a weekend out there soon and actually camp out.  Hopefully we can find time before the real heat of the summer!

You can see Brody's scraped knees here!

And poor Brody's knee's!  Both scabs on his knees were almost off from previous falls, to only fall again on the trail to get 2 new scrapes on his knee's!  It reminded me to pack bandaids, etc when hiking!  I also had blood all my shirt from his knees when I was carrying him.  Fun times!!

No comments:

Post a Comment